Here are 5 simple reasons why I think you should dance!
1. Dance takes you up and away from the every day. Dancing is moving meditation. Not long after the music comes on and you begin to move your body you will start to float away – it’s pretty much guaranteed! All of a sudden the day-to-day thoughts disappear and you are just energy. You get into what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has termed flow, also known as zone; a mental state of operation in which you are fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In flow, the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energized, and aligned with the task at hand. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous JOY!
2. Dance is great for your body and health! Dancers are known for their long, lean, well-proportioned physiques. When you dance, you use your own body weight to strengthen, lengthen and build muscle.
3. It builds coordination, muscle memory, and brain power. Listening to music is a mathematical exercise – really! And the good news is, the more you listen, the better you become at understanding patterns and variations. Using your right and left brain as you move and tackle choreography is so beneficial to your cognitive ability. It’s been proven that movers are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s – just do it!
4. Having good rhythm is such a plus! It just is! Everyone appreciates someone who claps on the beat, which brings me to point #5….
5. Dudes – please dance! It tells us a lot about you; Do you move well? Are you flexible? Are you confident? Do you respond to your partner? If you only knew how much prospective partners appreciate a good dancer, you would be all over that dance floor.